Responsible for labor involved in maintaining the District's channels through the use of hand and motorized tools which may consist of hand cutting, selective clearing, de-snagging, debris removal, clearing drifts, tree planting, and tree maintenance in accordance with the District's mission to maintain the Infrastructure.
- Inspect, maintain, and operate small engine equipment.
- Use various types of hand tools.
- Hand cut channels that are inaccessible to tractors.
- Remove debris from channel rights of way.
- Clear drifts from channel obstructions.
- Clean and prepare maintenance site to eliminate possible hazards.
- Mix and place concrete.
- Set braces and forms to support the sides of excavation.
- Load and unload materials according to maintenance project.
- Comply with all Harris County Flood Control District policies and procedures concerning execution of duties and job performance.
- May enter the channel in water up to three feet in depth or from the bank to dislodge and remove drifts and debris (trees, limbs, brush, vines, trash and refuse) that impede water flow around and under bridges or other areas.
- Utilize safety wear equipment as specified by OSHA and dictated by each job assignment performed.
- Requires high school graduate or equivalent.
- Requires one to two years verifiable experience in field operations or maintenance or related field.
- Requires knowledge of bayou, drainage area and rights-of-way maintenance including, but not limited to, application of various herbicides, cutting and clearing brush and debris removal.
- Valid Class "C" Texas Driver's License required.
TOOLS, EQUIPMENT USED:
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ENVIRONMENTAL EXPOSURE:
- Frequent walking up and down steep slopes of ditches or on rough and uneven surfaces or ground such as sloping terrain, plowed or furrowed areas or construction sites.
- Frequent stooping, bending, reaching, lifting and carrying of items up to 20 pounds and occasional lifting of up to 40 pounds.
- Work in and around channels to pull debris for water using poles and other tools.
- Lift and carry concrete (wet or dry) to work site requiring lifting of up to 80 pounds.
- Approximately 100% of duties are performed outdoors where there will be routine exposure to significant levels of heat, cold, moisture, air pollution, wind and dust.
- Will be exposed to vegetation retardants, herbicides and fertilizers.
- Will be exposed to petroleum products including but not limited to gasoline, oil, grease, diesel and other fuels and lubricants.
- Will be exposed to snakes, wildlife, wasps, bees and other flying or walking insects.
- May be exposed to aquatic bacteria, viruses and other microorganisms.
- May be exposed to vibration or noise in excess of 85 decibels.
NOTE: Reasonable accommodations will be made upon request for applicants with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990. Upon receiving a conditional offer of employment, all applicants are screened for the presence of illegal drugs, alcohol, and the ability to perform physical functions of this position. EOE